Sunday, December 16, 2007

Martinus Scriblerus is a no-no

I just finished rereading Martinus Scriblerus and realized that there is no way I can write an entire chapter on just that alone. This is rather funny, but I thought the text was much heftier because I read it on ECCO in its original, first edition format. I thought the text was at least 150 pages, but it's no more than 70 or so. Ha.

I did rethink the idea of rereading... I am considering a way to expand it into rereading, recreating, and rewriting. I could then examine new editions, sequels, and the 18C fan fiction... This would actually work well with my interests in adaptations and the theoretical spaces created through practices of re-creation.

Hmm... something to mull over after I finish my last course...

Some general texts I'm keeping in mind:
  • The Dunciad
  • Gulliver's Travels
  • Robinson Crusoe
    • Moll Flanders
    • Roxana
  • Pamela
    • Shamela
    • Joseph Andrews
    • Anti-Pamela
  • Clarissa

No comments: