Thursday, June 14, 2007

George Etherege is ril, ril funny

Harriet from The Man of Mode is one of my favourite female characters in a Restoration play. She's pretty, fiesty and down to earth. She can match, if not excel, in wit against Dorimant. I suppose many female roles were like this at the time, but I particularly like her because she reminds me of Harriet from So I Married an Axe Murderer. Here are a few of my favourite lines:
  • Women then ought to be no more fond of dressing than Fools should be of talking; Hoods and Modesty, Masques and Silence, things that shadow and conceal; they should think of nothing else.
  • Varnish'd over with good breeding, many a Blockhead makes a tolerable show.
Now, let's compare her to Harriet from SIMAM:
...

Okay, so I can't think of anything super witty from her... but that is simply because she was upstaged by Mike Meyers. Well, I suppose that Harriet from MoM wins this battle... for now.

No comments: