Tuesday, June 12, 2007

More Bunyan love

I have found John Bunyan to be the Emo of the 17C. He constantly oscillates between finding God and bemoaning his sinful past. It's awesome, frankly:
Now was I in great distress, thinking in very deed, that this might well be so; wherefore I went up and down bemoaning my sad condition; counting my self far worse than a thousand fools for standing off thus long, and spending so many years in sin as I have done; still crying out, Oh, that I had turned sooner! Oh, that I had turned seven years ago! It made me also angry with my self, to think that I should have no more wit, but to trifle away my time, till my Soul and Heaven were lost.
If John Bunyan were around today, he would be heading up Dashboard Confessional and wearing mascara.

Here's to you, John Bunyan. You kept it real-er than real. You weren't afraid to bemoan. You were a true warrior of emotive punk.

No comments: